From: Blair Bonnett [blair.bonnett@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 28 August 2015 12:52
To: Cirilo Bernardo
Cc: Mário Luzeiro; KiCad Developers
Subject: Re: [Kicad-developers] proposed future changes for 3D model handling

On 28 August 2015 at 18:28, Cirilo Bernardo <cirilo.bernardo@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:cirilo.bernardo@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
The parser itself may occupy a significant amount of memory. In the case
of IGES this is currently around 3MB but it will grow as the actual display
features are implemented in the future, and STEP will definitely be much
larger, especially if we initially use OpenCascade to implement it.

I don't know much about 3D formats, really just grateful for all the work in making a usable 3D viewer for me... :). So I can't add much to this discussion.

But can I request that, where possible, support for file formats like this which rely on external libraries like this are made optional? If this could be determined at runtime that would be ideal, but at least some compile time options and/or detection.

Just to throw some numbers out there (from my Arch Linux install): my version of KiCad (custom, locally-compiled package) is 66MiB, OpenCascade by itself is 101MiB, and with all the dependencies it would pull in this goes up to an extra 500MiB. It would be nice if it wasn't required in order to run KiCad.

Cheers
Blair