Re: proposed future changes for 3D model handling

Le 28/08/2015 14:28, LordBlick a écrit :
> Wlostowski:
>> Do you build the libc or the X server every time you build Kicad? Just
>> think
>> of OCC as just every other system library... Plus, there are pre-compiled
>> versions.
> For a clarification, I mean KiCAD build, not OCC, all bells and whistles as
> github, 3dview etc. are features, in which an ordinary user may feel lost.

I don't agree about "all bells and whistles as ...".

3D view and 3D export features can be useless for users who do not have
mechanical constraints.

For those who have *strong* mechanical constraints, and they can be
"ordinary users", it is a major feature, not bells and whistles.

For instance, just think to mechanical constraints for a guy who works
on a a board inside a camera (perhaps he is not an ordinary user, but
this is just an example of strong mechanical constraints).

For ordinary users who do not have *strong* mechanical constraints, this
is an helpful tool to evaluate the footprints placement.
I am especially thinking to "ordinary users" like teachers and their
students, when these students are designing a board...
(I was this teacher, and I can say they are *not* feel lost)

For me, Github is the best way to store libraries for users who want
easily import the new components they need.
It is something like the "Vault" feature in Altium.

All users need that, especially ordinary users (Advanced user usually
create themselves the component they need).

(Of course I am thinking using the Github libraries repository for the
usual work is not a good idea)

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS