Re: proposed future changes for 3D model handling

Le 28/08/2015 14:28, LordBlick a écrit :
For a clarification, I mean KiCAD build, not OCC, all bells and whistles as
github, 3dview etc. are features, in which an ordinary user may feel lost.

I don't agree about "all bells and whistles as ...".

3D view and 3D export features can be useless for users who do not have
mechanical constraints.

For those who have *strong* mechanical constraints, and they can be
"ordinary users", it is a major feature, not bells and whistles.

For instance, just think to mechanical constraints for a guy who works on a
a board inside a camera (perhaps he is not an ordinary user, but this is
just an example of strong mechanical constraints).

For ordinary users who do not have *strong* mechanical constraints, this is
an helpful tool to evaluate the footprints placement. I am especially
thinking to "ordinary users" like teachers and their students, when these
students are designing a board... (I was this teacher, and I can say they
are *not* feel lost)

For me, Github is the best way to store libraries for users who want easily
import the new components they need. It is something like the "Vault"
feature in Altium.

All users need that, especially ordinary users (Advanced user usually create
themselves the component they need).

(Of course I am thinking using the Github libraries repository for the usual
work is not a good idea)
What is the whistle, and the bell is a supporting role question, it would be
important that if what functionality the user does not need, it does not have to
install and what is more important - that plugins can be done outside strict
dev team (in example import/export or some license problematic tools), so focus
on main core will be much easier.
BTW. For github personally I prefer already installed git command
--
Best Regards,
LordBlick