Re: UI and usability enhancement

Le 31/08/2015 16:46, Chris Goddard a écrit :

On 31/08/15 15:15, Attila Kinali wrote:

An example where Kicad fails with external consistency is the use of the
mouse wheel. While all EDA, CAD and simple drawing applications I've
used
in the past have the following mapping:

wheel         -> up/down
shift-wheel     -> left/right
ctrl-wheel    -> zoom

Kicad has the following mapping:

wheel         -> zoom
shift-wheel     -> up/down
ctrl-wheel    -> left/right

And this is probably my biggest gripe with Kicad. Even after several
weeks
of using Kicad, I still use the wrong one in the first try. If possible,
I would advise to change this before the release, as the release will
attract a lot of people who have never used Kicad before and they will
for sure stumble over this as I have. Especially as this cannot be
changed
in any of the preferences menus.

My experience of CAD programs is not the same as yours. The common
usage as I see it is as follows.

wheel -> zoom
middle mouse click and drag -> pan.

This is what PCBNew does and it would not be a good idea to change it
in my view. It's fast and intuitive.

I agree.
This is the way most of commonly used CAD tools like autocad work

the Ctrl-wheel way is more the "office way".

I think this should be configurable anyway

Cheers

Chris