Re: UI and usability enhancement

On 31.08.2015 17:23, Mário Luzeiro wrote:
> Good work on that list!
>
> I just give an quick overlook on that, I think one thing was not mentioned was the consistency on the edition of parameters.
> (For example the way that you insert a value of some type (ex a diameter, or a position) is different depending of the function/dialog.)
> One thing that maybe kicad could also implement is a "parameter table" edition. I saw already some EDAs that implement it that way, also, it is easy to first develop a table or tree and just enter manually the values.
> Something like this:
> http://fossies.org/linux/wxWidgets/docs/doxygen/images/appear-propertygrid-gtk.png

Hi,

@Attila: Great to have you here, I see our lists of annoyances in Kicad
are pretty much the same. I've never taken the effort to write them
down, though... Thanks for doing this painful job :)

If there's one point that I find missing: redo the menu structure. Each
function the program provides must be in the menu, in a logical
position. A newcomer should be able to discover all functions of the
program just by browsing through the menus. Unfortunately this is not
the case - take the component spread/auto-placement tool as an example.

@Mario: It's been for a long time on our to-do list [1], point 14
(Introspection & properties, inspector tool).

@both: don't forget that some of the improvements that look simple (
retaining nets for vias/traces, property editor or undo while drawing a
trace) require some substantial rework of PCBnew internals (e.g.
redesign of the net propagation algorithm or refactoring the BOARD class
to add properites/observers).

Cheers,
Tom

[1] http://www.ohwr.org/projects/cern-kicad/wiki/WorkPackages