Re: Reminder

> On Sep 7, 2015, at 9:13 AM, Bernhard Stegmaier <stegmaier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> a small note on homebrew (or, MacPorts) for OS X:
> The problem is, that you need a special patched wxWidgets for KiCad.
> So, you can’t (no, you can’t) use the stock one such a package system provides - and you probably cannot easily provide your own one because it might interfere with the original one.
>
> You could probably build and package the custom version of wxWidgets within a homebrew/MacPorts recipe for KiCad, but then there is really no advantage in using such a system to build yourself (i.e., sharing libraries across the system).
> Just take Adam’s nightly builds which do the same (just without a recipe).

I’m sure I speak for a lot of Mac users when I say:

We greatly prefer a simple disk image with either an installer or a package with the program we can drag to /Applications and libraries to the usual install locations.

Homebrew and the like are perhaps fine if people want to build from source. Having too many package managers seems to muck things up, and I prefer not using any of them.

Just my view, of course.

-a