Re: Eeschema ERC should detect unmatched local labels

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 10:49:59PM -0600, Joseph Chen wrote:

> Though you don't approve the change now, I hope you would approve it
> sometime later soon, like maybe RC2. I am saying this because I
> believe the fix is crucial for KiCAD to be improved towards a
> production quality EDA, after I encountered my PCB's near "DEATH"
> situation.

I don't think that checking unmatched names is so critical. In fact
*most* of my labels are simply used to... label nets, not to create a
connection. That way during routing I can see the signal which need
particular attention (also it's easier to set netclasses in this way)

A distraction like a mistyped label is akin to connecting a wire to the
wrong pin (one time I flipped over an amp symbol... lot's of smoke
happened :D); no ERC can save you from that.

The *only* feature useful in the schematic DRC is the 'unconnected pin'
warning; all the other ones (signal conflicts, power pins and so on) are
a complete nuisance (at least for mixed signal and analog-heavy boards).
Even for digital boards a filter inductor on a power pin would give a
missing power warning :P

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl