Re: FW: Export to ODB++

On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 01:47:21PM +0200, nats wrote:
> Hello,
> I think many of you miss the point of having ODB++ export. It's not really
> usefull for PCB manufacturer, you can always go with gerber + IPC netlist.

Actually more gerber+excellon... the IPC netlist is for cross-checking
the resulting netlist after the panel is generated. Our manufacturers
don't check it, the gerbers are the gold reference for fabrication...

And anyway we have to sign for acceptance the panel files, so they
disclaim everything :D

> But for simulation software you usually need a CAD file (mentor/cadence/...)
> or an ODB++ with Net and components definition. The copper/net part of the
> ODB++ can be easily be generated with CAM software from gerber and IPC
> netlist. The missing part is the component definition.

Good point. However I've only seen request in hyperlynx format for board
simulation, not IPC. Maybe some package works with IPC sources (but I
don't think that the OBD format contains all the 'numerics' needed for a
simulation, pcbnew doesn't for sure :D)

> It's also usefull for documenting PCB by using integrated software like
> Blueprint(tm)(c)

Don't even mention that steaming pile of manure :P one of our assembly
partner bought it (special offer with CAM350) and doesn't work properly
even with the original CAD file :P CAM350 itself has issues but at least
it works...

Anyway probably pcbnew doesn't have access to all the required
information, probably (from pin 1 information to detailed value
numerics)

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl