Re: Making translation easier: Any non-developer non-geek friendly approach?

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 02:49:59AM +0200, timofonic timofonic wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Currently, there are some .po files and instructions to translate KiCad,
> among other things. While this can be easy to developers, I believe it can
> be very painful to non-developers.
>
> I want to help translating all of KiCad to Spanish, even the main website
> and translate news (blogs?). I'm unfortunately having some IRL issues that
> are still making me unable to start on it, but I'm sorting them.
>
> These days I did remember about the following software or SaaS could help a
> lot in crowdsourcing translation efforts though a web interface.
>
> http:// <https://poeditor.com>pootle.translatehouse.org
> <https://poeditor.com>
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Translating_LibreOffice
>
> https <https://poeditor.com>:// <https://poeditor.com>translatewiki.net
> <https://poeditor.com>
> http:// <https://poeditor.com>otrance.de <https://poeditor.com>/
> <https://poeditor.com>en <https://poeditor.com>/ <https://poeditor.com>
> http:// <https://poeditor.com>zanata.org <https://poeditor.com>
> https <https://poeditor.com>:// <https://poeditor.com>weblate.org
> <https://poeditor.com>
> https://poeditor.com
> https://www.transifex.com (older version is Open Source at https
> <https://github.com/transifex/transifex/>://
> <https://github.com/transifex/transifex/>github.com
> <https://github.com/transifex/transifex/>/
> <https://github.com/transifex/transifex/>transifex
> <https://github.com/transifex/transifex/>/
> <https://github.com/transifex/transifex/>transifex
> <https://github.com/transifex/transifex/>/
> <https://github.com/transifex/transifex/> )
> https://github.com/matecat/ <https://github.com/matecat/MateCat>MateCat
> <https://github.com/matecat/MateCat>
>
> Software:
>
> http:// <http://virtaal.translatehouse.org>virtaal.translatehouse.org
>
> I have no idea about what's the better tool, the feasibility of it and if
> it deserves the effort. I just want to send this message so contributors
> could debate about it.
>
> Kind regards!

Well this is planned. These are the steps followed so far:

1. convert all docs in an easy to manage and versioning format (odt->asciidoc): done
2. add tools and files to make docs translatable (gettext & .po files): done
3. adapt & integrate the build & packaging scripts to the KiCad system (cmake): 99.9% done

once this is all up & running (we are almost done) we can start think on
how to integrate it in a web tool or other means to easy translation
tasks for non-devs.

Thanks for your interest in the matter,
Regards,

--