Re: Making translation easier: Any non-developer non-geek friendly approach?

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 02:49:59AM +0200, timofonic timofonic wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Currently, there are some .po files and instructions to translate KiCad,
>> among other things. While this can be easy to developers, I believe it can
>> be very painful to non-developers.
>>
>> I want to help translating all of KiCad to Spanish, even the main website
>> and translate news (blogs?). I'm unfortunately having some IRL issues that
>> are still making me unable to start on it, but I'm sorting them.
>>
>> These days I did remember about the following software or SaaS could help a
>> lot in crowdsourcing translation efforts though a web interface.

snip

>> I have no idea about what's the better tool, the feasibility of it and if
>> it deserves the effort. I just want to send this message so contributors
>> could debate about it.
>>
>> Kind regards!
>
> Well this is planned. These are the steps followed so far:
>
> 1. convert all docs in an easy to manage and versioning format (odt->asciidoc): done
> 2. add tools and files to make docs translatable (gettext & .po files): done
> 3. adapt & integrate the build & packaging scripts to the KiCad system (cmake): 99.9% done
>
> once this is all up & running (we are almost done) we can start think on
> how to integrate it in a web tool or other means to easy translation
> tasks for non-devs.

The website is not translatable as of now, but hugo the tool we use to
generate the site has some features for translations, I have not
really investigated it, but I guess it we should be able to apply the
po files concept to the website oo. It will of course require some
effort, but that I would like to postprone untill after the release or
anyone picks up the task.

But for the docs, and GUI translations. I think you failed to find
https://poedit.net/. But anyway, multiple translators will no call
them selves software developers...

I think we should start with trying to use transifex.com for the GUI
translations at least, but we also have a task of getting that stuff
out of the old kicad doc repo. I am trying to work on this. But I have
created an org on https://www.transifex.com/kicad/.  But it is not
really used yet.

Nick