Re: Are there plans to make an official portable version?

This would require changing the way KiCad stores user settings.
Otherwise your settings would always remain on your system rather than
your portable drive which is what I'm guessing what you would want.  I
have no plans on implementing this feature but I would not be opposed if
someone else came up with a well designed solution to this problem.
Obviously, this would not happen until the next development cycle.