Re: Call for help, no programming experience required.

On 10/1/2015 5:03 PM, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:
> I think in general VRML models suffer from a somewhat random (0,0,0)
> reference
> and even the orientation is typically 1 of 4 common orientations.  This
> is due in
> part from the habits of whoever created the model and in part from the
> modeling
> software used. We will see more such problems when we have the capability to
> use more types of models.  The only scheme I can think of so far which may
> help with this issue is to have an optional file alongside each 3D model
> file to
> provide information needed to put the model into a nominal position. For
> models
> not at (0,0,0) such a scheme would also save people from typing the same
> information into the VRML scale/rotation/translation box all the time.
> The down
> sides of course are these extra files and the fact that if 2 files have
> the same
> name but different (0,0,0) someone will have to remember to edit the
> positioning
> file. The file is not intended to replace the scale/rotation/translation
> within KiCad
> but to transparently add to it. The model manager can make this happen
> without
> additional user interaction. Unfortunately this scheme can only help to
> create the
> nominal position - whatever a user decides that must be. It doesn't help
> at all
> if footprints change their (0,0) reference between projects, which is
> the case for
> the newer THT footprints in the KiCad libraries.
>
> Changes so far which can cause problems:
> schematic symbols:
> + many changed size and the location of connection points
> + Diodes were made consistent so K is always Pin 1 (which I think should
> have
>    been the case even for THT since K is the marked pin)
> + Orientations may have changed
>
> footprints:
> + (0,0) reference for THT components has changed; I'm not familiar at
> all with
>    the orientation of SMT footprints so I can't say if they've changed,
> but some
>    rules were put in place to ensure a consistent orientation. I suspect
> the (0,0)
>    position remains the 'center of body' since that's what's required by
> placing
>    machines, but I haven't been following the changes.

Has anyone checked if the position files are correct for THT footprints
with the pin 1 reference points at 0,0?  If this breaks user's position
files used for pick & place, this is *really* bad and I would consider
this a potential stable release blocker.  Someone needs to confirm this
so we can make a decision.

> + Orientation has changed for many THT components
>
> VRML models:
> + many have changed orientation
> + many have changed (0,0,0)

I would prefer that the orientation and scaling match footprint so the
user doesn't have to change anything by default.  In other words, the
scaling is always 1 and the offsets and rotation angles are always 0.