Re: suggested resolution (and other specs)

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 08:53:32AM +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:
> Have you done some tests? May we use KiCad with a 1024x768 screen?
> All functions? And 800x600, less? More?

Reporting! :P

No hope for 800x600, it's just not designed for that. Maybe in
emergency...

1024x768 pretty much usable, especially if you tweak the code (removing
spacers between buttons, mostly). You lose a couple icons but nothing
vital (accessible thru menu and/or keyboard)

1600x1200 on a 21 inches is glorious :D suitable for full time work.

> Suggested (actual) graphic cards for Win/Linux/Mac?
> Minum requirements on DirectX / OpenGL?

Keep in mind that the target is OpenGL 2, you *need* hardware shaders to
work with pcbnew in opengl mode. I *think* it's more or less shader
model 9, but I'm not sure... anyway check the opengl specs of the card
(PS Intel lies)

No experience with NVidia.

Radeon works fine even with the APUs (GPU in the main processor). It's
something like an A2 or A3, from memory...

No hope with Intel pre-HD. The GM945 simply doesn't have the hardware,
for example. For reference Intel HD 4400 works fine (until it overheats,
but that's a design issue of this laptop, probably).

For the wx/GDI/GDK part I'd say everything with at least an AGP will
work:P *except* maybe the radeon with the free driver (notorious bug!
was it fixed?); if it's slow (people usually notice it with the grid on)
use the proprietary driver (need some patches with the newer kernels...)

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl