Re: RC1 terminology on the website

On 10/13/2015 3:49 PM, Adam Wolf wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I ran into a user today who was calling RC1 the new stable and was glad
> it had "finally come out".   I was a little panicked!

That's kind of scarey.  Do people not understand what RC means?
Unfortunately, I'm not sure there is much we can do about this.

> I know there are issues in the Mac package and IIRC issues in the
> Windows package for RC1, so I asked him why he thought that, and he
> pointed to the website.
>
>  While http://kicad-pcb.org/download/ is pretty clear that there is a
> release candidate out for the stable line, many of the OS specific
> download pages are not clear at all (IMHO),
> like http://kicad-pcb.org/download/ubuntu/, and definitely make it sound
> like the "stable release" is out.

This should read "stable release candidate 1" is out.  When rcX is
dropped from the version number, then it is officially a stable release.

> I started preparing a pull request to try to make it clearer, and
> realized that someone made that change on purpose, so there are
> obviously different opinions here.

There are no opinions here.  The last time I checked, I was the project
lead developer and I'm pretty sure I have not released 4.0.0 yet.  In
fact there will be an rc2 as soon as another P&S router segfault bug has
been resolved.  Please folks, lets not give users the impression
4.0.0-rc1 is a stable release.  It is not.  We've already fixes several
segfault bugs in rc1 which will be part of the rc2 release.  Claiming
that rc1 is a stable release will only lead to user frustration when
these segfault bugs occur.