Re: suggested resolution (and other specs)

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 08:53:32AM +0200, Marco Ciampa wrote:
> Apart from reporting problems on this or that combination of graphic
> libraries and/or platforms and/or OS, I think that is missing a page with
> the minimum requirements, like this:
>
> https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/system-requirements/
[...]

I thank you all for you reports on use of KiCad on older hw, but
please try to understand what I am trying to ask here.

I just want to compile a _reasonable_ system-requirements list,
nothing more, nothing less.

Then, take from the LibreOffice site, we can have:

--------------------

Common System Requirements (hardware specs):

    - Pentium-compatible PC (Pentium III, Athlon or more-recent system recommended);

    - 512 MB RAM (1024 MB RAM recommended);

    - Up to 500 MB available hard disk space;

    - 1280x1024 resolution (higher resolution recommended), with at least 16K colors.

    - Graphic card with at least OpenGL 2.0, with hardware shaders. Check
      the opengl specs of the card:

      - Intel: Intel cards are reported working from model HD2000 and higher.
        No pre-HD models.

      - NVidia: from NVIDIA support page: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv_ogl2_support.html
        NVIDIA support for OpenGL 2.0 begins with the Release 75 series of drivers.
        GeForce FX (NV3x), GeForce 6 Series (NV4x), NV3xGL-based Quadro FX and NV4xGL-based
        Quadro FX GPUs, and all future NVIDIA GPUs support OpenGL 2.0.

      - Ati: should work any modern Radeon chip even in the APU (GPU in the main processor).

Common System Requirements (software specs):

      - wxwidgets 3.0.2

      - wxpython 3.0.1

      - See: http://kicad-pcb.org/help/known-system-related-issues/ for
        software specific issues.

Specific System Requirements

    Windows
    Apple Mac OSX
    GNU/Linux
    Other OSes

Windows

The software and hardware prerequisites for installing KiCad on a Windows
system are as follows:

    Microsoft Windows XP SP3, Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7,
    Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, or Windows 10;

Apple - Mac OS X

The software and hardware prerequisites for installing on a Apple Mac OS
X computer are as follows:

    Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or higher;

GNU/Linux

The software and hardware prerequisites for installing on Linux are as
follows:

    Any modern Linux distro with OpenGl 2.0 or higher elabled
    graphics should go. For example Linux Ubuntu 12.04 or higher.

Android/Linux

The Android/Linux platform is actually NOT supported.

Other OSes

Other systems (notably Unix *BSD) may be fully working but are actually
not ufficially supported.

All platforms:

- For certain features of the software - but not most - Python is required.
  Python is notably required for enable scripting.

Comments?

Regards,

--

Marco Ciampa