      - wxwidgets 3.0.2

      - wxpython 3.0.1

      - See: http://kicad-pcb.org/help/known-system-related-issues/ for
        software specific issues.

I bet that some OS X users will read that and start digging for wxWdigets and wxPython. If you are not compiling yourself, everything needed will be conatined in the application bundle. So, there is no need for a normal user to even know about wxWidgets/wxPython.

For Linux, IMHO the paket manager will take care of installing all SW prerequisites. For Windows I guess it is the same as for OS X, everything will be in the installer?

Regards,
Bernhard

On 2015-10-15 10:36, Marco Ciampa wrote:
On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 04:06:51PM -0400, Mark Roszko wrote:
I really think Pentium compatible is horrible terminology ever since
Intel absolutely destroyed the name and now theres old generation I3s
rebranded as Pentiums.

Also a Pentium 3 probably can't be used with any of the required video cards.

raised to Pentium IV, ok?

I personally would remove Windows XP. It is a dead and unsupported OS.
We should not encourage people keeping their botnet computer and
supporting issues they may have.

I can understand this but, as Lorenzo reported, there are many XPs still
in use and, given you use it behind a firewall and do not use it to
navigate on Internet, how can it possibly harm anyone?

Regarding Radeon cards, there are issues:
http://kicad-pcb.org/help/known-system-related-issues/#_bad_graphics_cards

ok will add a link for those issues...

"pre-HD" is also flawed for Intel cards as in the case of the broken
4500 GMA theres a "M" and "HD" version released simultaneously. Needs
to be reworded to mean no cards that came before the HD-Graphics
series rather than Intel's previous HD suffixing.

Ok reworded, check if you think it is better now...

I would keep python off because its no longer an system thing and just
general userland stuff. Also its "recommended" not "required" to run
kicad.

ok deleted

lets try it again:

----------

Common System Requirements (hardware specs):

    - Pentium-compatible PC (Pentium IV, Athlon or more-recent system
recommended);

    - 512 MB RAM (1024 MB RAM recommended);

    - Up to 500 MB available hard disk space;

    - 1280x1024 resolution (higher resolution recommended), with at
least 16K colors.

- Graphic card with at least OpenGL 2.0, with hardware shaders. Check
      the opengl specs of the card:

      - Intel: No cards that came before the HD-Graphics, regardless
of the wording HD.
        Intel cards that are reported working starts from model HD2000
and higher.

      - NVidia: from NVIDIA support page:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv_ogl2_support.html
        NVIDIA support for OpenGL 2.0 begins with the Release 75
series of drivers.
        GeForce FX (NV3x), GeForce 6 Series (NV4x), NV3xGL-based
Quadro FX and NV4xGL-based
        Quadro FX GPUs, and all future NVIDIA GPUs support OpenGL 2.0.

      - Ati: should work any modern Radeon chip even in the APU (GPU
in the main processor).
        but check for some issues here:

http://kicad-pcb.org/help/known-system-related-issues/#_bad_graphics_cards

Common System Requirements (software specs):

      - wxwidgets 3.0.2

      - wxpython 3.0.1

      - See: http://kicad-pcb.org/help/known-system-related-issues/ for
        software specific issues.

Specific System Requirements

    Windows
    Apple Mac OSX
    GNU/Linux
    Other OSes

Windows

The software and hardware prerequisites for installing KiCad on a Windows
system are as follows:

    Microsoft Windows XP SP3, Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7,
    Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, or Windows 10;

Apple - Mac OS X

The software and hardware prerequisites for installing on a Apple Mac OS
X computer are as follows:

    Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or higher;

GNU/Linux

The software and hardware prerequisites for installing on Linux are as
follows:

    Any modern Linux distro with OpenGl 2.0 or higher elabled
    graphics should go. For example Linux Ubuntu 12.04 or higher.

Android/Linux

The Android/Linux platform is actually NOT supported.

Other OSes

Other systems (notably Unix *BSD) may be fully working but are actually
not ufficially supported.

Comments?

If you agree we can add this page on the site...

--

Marco Ciampa