Re: suggested resolution (and other specs)

Am 14.10.2015 um 19:47 schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:
>> As for 1024 x 768 and lower resolutions, are we kidding? Who has a 1024 x 768 monitor that gets regular use? That’s crazy. After all, the second syllable of Kicad is CAD, and CAD applications want as much screen real estate as possible! You’re a masochist if you’re trying to run Kicad on an 800 x 600 display. Gotta draw a line in the concrete somewhere.
>
> Thank you!  I could not have said it any better myself.

With all this boasting about screen resolutions I start to wonder wether
moving to KiCad was a wise move.

Am 14.10.2015 um 21:54 schrieb Marco Ciampa:
> I just want to compile a _reasonable_ system-requirements list,
> nothing more, nothing less.

Good point.

> - Up to 500 MB available hard disk space;

Likely not sufficient. All these libraries take a lot of space. Recently
my package manager reported 1.4 GB required space for the packages. Half
the 3D models I currently have add 1.1 GB on top.

2 GB without 3D and 5 GB with 3D is probably closer to the truth.

> - 1280x1024 resolution (higher resolution recommended), with at least 16K colors.

I just tried with a small window on a larger screen, sizes around
1024x768 work ok. It's not ample, of course, but perfectly usable.

Even 800x600 basically works, but about half the toolbar buttons
disappear then. One can use the regular menus, of course, still not good
for a "recommended" setup.

> - Graphic card with at least OpenGL 2.0, with hardware shaders. Check
> the opengl specs of the card:
>
> - Intel: Intel cards are reported working from model HD2000 and higher.
> No pre-HD models.

A pre-HD model works just fine. With the default/Cairo canvas and with
software emulated OpenGL canvas. The latter is simple, just run with
LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1.

BTW., the OpenGL canvas asks for v2.1, not v2.0.

Minimum system requirements? Uhm, how about simply stating "A computer
running one of the supported OS's, see the download section".

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter