Re: update on 3D refactor

Hi,

actually, if you allow out-of-tree plugins I think it is urgently needed to separate the headers somehow from the rest of the project (something like linux and linux-headers packages). Otherwise, IMHO it is way too easy for non-plugin developers to change things (maybe even not on purpose) and break plugins. I have seen variousprojects with such out-of-tree plugins where the plugin you just need now doesn't work with the latest version of the program itself, because of API changes...

Regards,
Bernhard

On 2015-10-29 11:43, Mário Luzeiro wrote:
Hi Cirilo,

- will it be possible to build the plugins without using kicad source code? Maybe for some type of plugins it will be easy to have an API, but for things related with kicad, it can be an huge library or dependencies.
The plugins can be built without the kicad source; all you need are the correct headers to implement the API.
"Plugins only need to include the appropriate API header files; they will not need to link to KiCad or know the details of KiCad's internal data."

The thing is, let say you want to make an export and you need the
BOARD structure, then you expect that it exists some header files that
define all items in the BOARD.
As far as I understand, at the moment, kicad have this structure
defined in the same place of the implementation and usage in kicad.
So, there is a no clean library that can be extracted from kicad (a
library with only its dependencies) and used both by kicad it self and
by external plugins.
As we have the things at the moment, you have to use the includes from
kicad.. and checkout the whole kicad project.

Ideally what I was thinking is that the headers that the plugins can
use, can be extracted from kicad and an API will be created and kicad
will use it as an API too.
So some one that can develop a plugin, only need to checkout the APIs
and not the full kicad project.

Mario