Re: translated layer mess

On 11/3/2015 10:47 AM, Mark Roszko wrote:
> So it turns out all the demo files in KiCad are also affected by the
> translated layer name mess.

Huh? I just checked. All of the kicad demo boards open just fine for me.
 Remember, copper layers can be translated because they have fixed
ordinal numbers.  Only non-copper layers cause the translation problems.

> They all more or less have the french layer names. So none of them
> load as of bzr 6292 in pcbnew.
>

> So ignoring that issue for a moment, is there any reason why we cannot
> add a more friendly error message? Like
>
> "Layer name is unknown to KiCad, please see XXX in documentation" or
> something? Not sue what exactly but would help as I see it being a big
> issue with people upgrading.

I'm not opposed to this but I would have to verify that this could
actually be done.  It depends how the parser exception is raised.