Re: Release - licenses and legal issues

On 11/18/2015 6:48 AM, Mário Luzeiro wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>>> Is there somewhere an overview of the used libraries / 3rd party software and their licenses? (for instance an list, >LibreOffice table or similar)
>> Would it be helpful to create a table for the internal documentation? If yes, how should the table look like and what kind of format should be used?
>
> Related with this subject, in my branch with for the refactoring of 3D viewer, I started to make a list of sources I am using. Some are libraries, some "pick cherry" pieces of code, some are just inspiration from blog posts.
> Also, the propose was to try to list the licences and the ones I should ask about it to the authors.. and.. it will work as a "credits".
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mrluzeiro/kicad/kicad_new3d-viewer/view/head:/3d-viewer/credits.txt
>
> So maybe kicad is missing a table list something like that.. so someone can manage the licences used in the source code and enter in contact with authors too..
> One thing that I maybe change in my list was that instead of listen it by filename / authors contributions, I will swap by author / filenames because the same author appear in different files..

I'm thinking of something much simpler that that. A simple web page with
a table and a few brief paragraphs.  A table with two columns to
document the dependency licenses. One column would be a name with the
link to the build dependency (Boost, wxWidgets, etc.) and the second
column would be the name of the license with a link to the license page.
I would also include a paragraph about our source license and another
paragraph about the library and font exceptions as well. Anything beyond
that, I will leave that up to the library maintainers.