From: Cirilo Bernardo [cirilo.bernardo@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 05 December 2015 20:24
To: Wayne Stambaugh
Cc: Mário Luzeiro; kicad-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Kicad-developers] GLM

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 2:30 AM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
On 12/4/2015 3:51 PM, Cirilo Bernardo wrote:
> GLM seems to have changed the names/locations of some header files somewhere
> between v0.94 and 0.97. For example 0.94 has core/type_mat4x4.hpp  while
> 0.97
> has mat4x4.hpp + detail/type_mat4x4.hpp. The 'mat4x4.hpp' seems to be a new
> file as well. I would prefer to code for the newer release; if we code
> using the older
> headers we're only adding unnecessary work in the future if we happen to
> use the
> part of the API which changed.
>
> I thought the GLM code may have been included because of problems on some
> platforms; on Linux the headers are available for installation via the
> package
> managers and it would be easy to implement FindGLM.cmake if one doesn't
> already exist.

This would be my preference rather than keeping a copy of GLM in our
sources.  Pick a minimum version of GLM and use it in the cmake
find_package() call.  As of right now, libglm in Debian stable (my
benchmark for package availability) is version 0.9.5.4.  The version of
libglm in Debian Testing is 0.9.7.1.  Please verify libglm has a sane
installation tool either autotools or cmake so it can easily be
installed on Posix like systems such as msys2/mingw.

Looking at the MSYS2 packages list from April of this year:

mingw/mingw-w64-glm 0.9.6.3-1

So there's no problem on MSYS2. I have no idea about OSX though. At any
rate I'll look into FindGLM.cmake and come up with something if there isn't
already a package.  Going by Mario's previous email the 0.9.5 version
wouldn't have the matrix decomposition which he uses so Debian Stable
(Jessie) won't do and there doesn't seem to be a backport of 0.9.6 or
later yet, not to mention the numerous other distributions and the versions
they have, though it's hard to imagine anyone having an older version
than Debian.

- Cirilo