Re: Full integration to Github

On 12/8/2015 2:00 PM, Mark Roszko wrote:
> Yea the rate limiting isn't really the major issue in my book.
>
> The biggest problem is that we cannot post comments under an
> username/email from launchpad. This is a technical limitation that
> cannot be avoided, as each comment/issue is associated to their own
> database.
>

>> Lots of open source projects migrate to github with all of there
>> history, so it has to be possible in a sane fashion.
>
> I've never seen any keep their history sanely.
>

> I wish people weren't so obsessed with github though. I would say its
> just the flavor of the month popular (and already losing users to
> gitlab :))) ) and in a few years some other site may become popular
> because github becomes the next malwareforge after its IPO or
> whatever, who knows. We shouldn't be blindly jumping on the bandwagon.
> Launchpad is set to be stable as long as Ubuntu exists.

I'm not the biggest github fan either.  I think its OK but it was
expecting a lot more given all of the fan fair.  I do like working with
git.  I've been using it exclusively for my Eeschema refactor work.  Has
anyone tried using the git support on launchpad yet?  I haven't had time
to mess around with it.  I know it's still a beta version but it might
be worth a look.  It could be a low pain option as long as the launchpad
devs get all the bug tracker and merge request support working with git.
 It may be worth trying to get an idea of when the LP devs plan to have
this done.  If it's within the next year, it may be worth waiting rather
than jumping ship.