Re: help with 3D normals

Those artifacts look like duplicate vertexes with normals pointing
different directions, ideally, for smooth shading wou'd want to break
up the mesh on each facet of the model (ie: have all vertexes from the
star pointing up, the other side pointing down and each side pointing
perpendicular to each rectangle). In Blender you'd use the edgesplit
modifier since even without the duplicate vertexes that star would
look really ugly with automatically computed normals and smooth
shading.