Re: [RFC] Wildcard and/or regex support in the component chooser

On 12/18/2015 2:22 PM, Chris Pavlina wrote:
> Thanks, and I don't mean to sound grouchy about it. I don't want to try
> to be a backseat driver and start insisting we do things My Way, or
> anything like that. It's just that my proposed change is really quick
> and simple, and would scratch a massive itch of mine - I'd definitely
> not object to adding even more stuff, but I've been really limited on
> time lately... fuzzy matching sounds kinda interesting, and it'd be cool
> to see it added. It just wouldn't do anything for the reason I wanted to
> add wildcard matching, and as much as I wish I had time to spend coding
> cool things that _don't_ help me... I don't have any. :(

You're allowed sound grouchy!  You're the one who's implementing it so
you get the lion's share of the say.  That's not to say other devs input
isn't useful but at the end of the day, you're one writing the code.
Here is my 2 cents.  From an advanced users point of view, wildcard and
regex searching is great so I'm all for it.  However, how many users
really know how to use regex or even simple wildcard searches?
Experience has taught me that very few actually do.  In fact, the only
users I know that know how to use them are developers.  We (myself
included) should always keep that in mind when writing code.  One simple
option might to create and abstract pattern matching base class
(EDA_PATTERN_MATCH) and only implement a wildcard and/or regex
implementation.  That way in the future, if someone feels really
ambitious, they can create any number of fancy pattern matching
algorithms without having to rewrite the code that utilizes it.

> So, if Wayne &c don't object to adding a simple wildcard search, I'd
> happily spend a few hours on that. But if we decide we want something
> more complicated - I won't complain and object, but I don't really have
> much time to work on it either.

No objection but please consider my base pattern matching class and
wherever you use pattern matching, that code should take a reference or
pointer to the base pattern matching class.