Re: [rfc] actual sexpression parsing

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 11:51:38AM +0800, David Godfrey wrote:

Argh... HTML only mail:P

>     THEY ARE EVIL EVIL THINGS !!<br>
>     <ul>

Snips for all the <li> items.

Single response for all the questions.

Answer: ISO ASN.1

Gives all you said it needs to do, correctly. Has a 'generic' parser
(depending on the encoding). Handles back and forward versioning. Mostly
self documenting (and there is a formal documentation method). No vendor
lock-in (heck, is one of the few ISO standards you can get free of
charge!). Reasonably easy to use (depending on your compiler package).
Drives airplanes and stuff in orbit :D also more of an internet standard
than many would think (X509 certificates for a start...)

AFAIK protobufs are a (way) 'lighter' version of this... I see no reason
for them being invented in the first place (aside for 'google
domination')

After this I'm *not* advocating a binary format, there would be no
advantage for it in pcbnew. There are no performance restraints in
either speed or space for kicad files so just use whatever is easier for
you to manage (i.e. structured text)

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
CZ Srl - Parma