Re: unused folders in kicad tree

>I will put "make a patch that removes the OS X packaging from tree" on the bottom of my list, so it can be a (slow) race :)

Its dead unused packaging which hasn't had an edit in 6 years:
https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror/tree/master/packaging/mac-osx/dmg-generator

You have your own bundle packaging outside the tree
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~adamwolf/+junk/kicad-mac-packaging/files

Deleting it shouldn't need testing :P

>The /new folder contains some code that I want to look at when I
implement the new schematic and symbol library file formats.

But this is what source control is for, you can go back in time and
pull out code. That and you can just store a copy somewhere other than
the active tree.