Re: Quick update on hotkeys refactor

Hello, Chris, Bernhard, ...!

On 2016-01-06 18:42, Chris Pavlina wrote:
> Well, replying just to Bernhard because for some reason the original
> mail didn't actually come through to my inbox... O_O

Seems like my mails get mangled through some [bulk] filters somewhere.
I only see my mails it in a quote when someone answers to it. :-(
(Will move to a different account soon, I guess.)

> Bernhard, he means the Reset button in the old-style standalone dialog,
> which you can still see in pcbnew.
>
> The "Reset" button used to be "Undo". I renamed it because it *really*
> wasn't an "Undo" button, the original name was even worse relative to
> its function.

I fully agree. :-)

> That mechanism is going away completely (eventually I want to go through
> and redo all the preferences dialogs in all applications, not just
> eeschema). I'm open to suggestions for better ways to do it. I'd like to
> be able to "reset item to default", "reset all to defaults", and "undo"
> (a *real* undo, not the old one that was really "reload dialog and drop
> all changes")

Thanks... you are on the right track, then!

Maybe you can add additional columns into the dialogs showing their
defaults (because the user wants to know beforehand, what the
default key is) with a little button to assign the default value.
Close to what I see as perfect is the about:config setting page
in Mozilla Firefox. Maybe you can take that as an idea to
create a generic dialog for all kicad settings - not only
for the hotkeys.

Another thing I really want to emphasize in the hotkey context:
I would appreciate it greatly if there is a 100% working
hotkey/replacement for the left (right is an option, then) mouse
button. (Spacebar is my preference here.)

The reason is that in complex electronic designs some people tend
to run into serious finger pain from mouse clicking.
I considered adding a second mouse to my PC with just the left
button wired up to a separate pushbutton. A bluetooth mouth-operated
thing could work as well... hence didn't find something yet which
is ready to use.

Thanks,

CKO