Re: KiCad PPA: version number for daily builds

On 2/9/2016 3:50 AM, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 09.02.2016 um 09:32 schrieb Jean-Samuel Reynaud:
>
>> As suggested by Wayne, is there any objection if version on daily build
>> PPA become 5.0-alpha-{repo version} or 4.99-alpha-{repo version} ?
>> It will allow daily build to have a higher version number than 4.0.XX
>> version available on distro.
>
> I'd use "{last release}+nightly{date}" until we're officially near a
> release and know whether it will be 5.0 or 4.1, because I fully expect
> that there may be features we'd like to release before 5.0 (the 3D
> rendering improvements, for example).

The current release policy is that only severe and broken behavior bugs
are fixed in the current stable release.  There will be no new features
back ported to the 4 stable branch (at least not by me) from the
development branch.  We just don't have the manpower to support this and
I would rather focus our time on the current development release.

> So while 4.0.1 is current, "4.0.1+nightly20160209" is good as an
> "upstream" version, Debian/Ubuntu can then add "+dfsg" for the removal
> of the files with unclear licensing and "-1" for the package version.

I'm OK with this as long as the package managers can deal with this to
correctly determine newer package versions.  If they cannot, then we
will have to come up with something different.