Re: kicad StepUp: 3D realistic rendering with the new VRML exporter

Hi Mario,
I would need to rework a bit the pcb to make it portable... I'm going to see if I can get some time to adjust it.

Anyway what I think is missing is an official repo for 3D models, coming from a mechanical modeler (e.g. FreeCAD but STEP models in general would be fine) and the correspondent VRML models, to be used by kicad libraries

In that way kicad users would approach very easily 3D MCAD exporting and ECAD/MCAD collaboration.

I've done some work few time ago for some common kicad smd libraries
https://github.com/easyw/kicad-3d-mcad-models
https://github.com/easyw/kicad-3d-mcad-models/tree/master/Capacitors_SMD.3dshapes
https://github.com/easyw/kicad-3d-mcad-models/tree/master/Capacitors_Tantalum_SMD.3dshapes
https://github.com/easyw/kicad-3d-mcad-models/tree/master/Housing_SOIC.3dshapes
https://github.com/easyw/kicad-3d-mcad-models/tree/master/Housings_QFP.3dshapes
https://github.com/easyw/kicad-3d-mcad-models/tree/master/Resistors_SMD.3dshapes
These models are all parametric 1:1 scaled

Hoping to see that this work could be merged in the official repo :)

Cheers
Maurice