Re: VRML export

On 2/25/2016 6:50 AM, easyw wrote:
>> .. back to discussion!
> here I am
>
>> I see, so that is a already implemented flag.
> yes, as in pcbnew manual
> http://docs.kicad-pcb.org/en/pcbnew.html
> 13.11. Attributes
> "Virtual indicates that a component is directly formed by the circuit
> board. Examples would be edge connectors or inductors created by a
> particular track shape (as sometimes seen in microwave footprints)."
> Virtual IMO is perfect also for mechanical objects as for example
> enclosures or mechanical parts
> typically there is no 3D model associated to a footprint with Virtual
> Attribute, so it is possible to add e.g. the enclosures or mechanical
> PCB stand-off spacers

You could possibly use the virtual flag for 3D model only footprint but
I've never tried it so it may not work.  If it's possible, then I see no
reason not to allow it although it does seem like a bit of a convoluted
solution that may confuse users.  Creating a footprint with no pads,
silkscreens, and/or text and only a 3D model seems a bit
counter-intuitive to me.