Pcbnew delete hot key behavior.

At some point in our history, someone half way changed the default
behavior of the delete hot key in pcbnew (legacy canvas).  There is a
dubious albeit incomplete attempt to limit the delete hot key to the
currently selected tool.  When did we decide to that and who made that
decision?  This would explain why I cannot delete certain items when
certain tools (track and footprint) are selected.  I thought we were
working under the assumption having to constantly select the "correct"
tool to delete (or any other hotkey function for that matter) items
associated with that tool was not a good thing but rather a waste of
time.  One of the things I've always hated about other EDA packages was
the notion that I could only delete object if I had the tool for that
object type selected.  I'm really not interested in repeating behavior
in KiCad.  Does anyone really think limiting hot keys to the currently
selected tool is a good idea?

Follow ups