Re: 3D models: custom VRML export vs FreeCAD (OCE/Coin3D) VRML export

> I've been in contact with Cirilo from about 4 years now :) and I was asking exactly this feature... but that was so in very low priority (years!!!)

Damn it! You mean Cirilo took 4 years!! to attend your requests?! That guy must be very lazy!.. :D
I'm used to ask something and get it for free, impeccable, by the next day! (free shipping too!)

> if you see the mailing list a guy already suggested to export STEP using his code in 2013, giving also a STEP file as an example, offering to share it, but he was ignored
> https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg11409.html

I had a look and it was not ignored, Wayne reply and he was happy:
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg11411.html
I don't know why it didn't follow
Probably now a good time to recall it since the kicad stable is out and I believe we can add new features...

> you may have forgotten the files I already shared with you ...
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/kicadstepup/files/prjs/HACK-master-R2.7z/download

Maybe Cirilo would like to have a look and compare, I dont have the plugin he is developing...

>> so I see nothing wrong with that and it does not do in any way an attack competition to your StepUP converter.
> me either, but I cannot understand why there is a trend against FreeCAD
> which is the only opensource MCAD sw robust and featured that can
> managed STEP import and export without any issues

Why do you say that is anyone (where?) against FreeCAD?

When you do some work, you have the main software (i.e: KiCad) and you can have multiple 3rd part softwares that can help you doing the job, special for open source softwares, it is natural to use multiple tools.

The thing is, here is the KiCad (software) developers mailing list :) So it is natural that we are more focused on KiCad development as the software. (On other side, the KiCad libraries have another mailing list... )
I dont know which department should be responsible for promote 3rd part tools (ok I know it is a bit mixed here on this mailing list) but maybe someone related with webpage and community should give more visibility to 3rd part tools.
Anyway, I guess this is the right place if there are technical discussions or technical help need!

Cheers!
Mario Luzeiro