Re: New pcbnew features and versioning

Le 07/04/2016 18:42, Chris Pavlina a écrit :
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 06:36:40PM +0200, jp charras wrote:

>>> JPs rounded rectangle commit is a problem.  I did not have a chance to
>>> review JP's patch.  I would have recommended a file version bump.
>>
>> It can be done now. This is not too late.
>> Just I need to know if the new version is 5 or 4.1 (adding rounded rect pads is a minor change,
>> because the file format does not change when rounded rect pads are not used)
>> For me, a major change is more when new features are always stored in file, and the file can be
>> never read by older versions.
>
> The format version isn't an integer? What's the point of minor versions of
> _file formats_? They don't mean anything to end users, they're just for
> comparison...

Because it is not yet used, it can be what we want (what we prefer).

We can use only an integer or use (like many other version id) or a notation like x.y
Something like
* when x changes, the file is no more readable by older versions
* when y changes, the file can be readable by older versions if the new feature is not used

This is just for us, poor developers (and yes, also for comparisons), not for users.

This is just a decision to take (and the corresponding code to write, because it does not exist).

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS