3D file relative paths

Hi folks,

 The current behavior of the 3D filename resolver is to use
an absolute path in instances where a specified path is
not a descendant of a path within the aliased paths list
(that is, the filename cannot be shortened using an existing
alias). This decision was originally made to avoid ambiguous
relative paths such as "../../some/path" (what is it
relative to?).  The obvious down side of course is that
absolute paths are not portable and this scheme would
be a nuisance to people who want to share their work
somehow.  Since a number of people seem to be reliant
on using the "../" form of relative path to share their work,
I'd like to know people's opinions on using such relative
paths. If such relative paths are preferred to absolute
paths then I can make changes to the code such that
the resolver will assign a path relative to the Current
Project Directory rather than an absolute path in cases
where the file path cannot be shortened via the use of
an alias.

- Cirilo

Follow ups