Re: Blender to KiCAD export addon

30.04.2016, 21:10, "Mário Luzeiro" <mrluzeiro@xxxxx>:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> It may be useful for users to know about it, eg: on https://forum.kicad.info
> Also you may check with kicad webpage maintainers if they would like to add it as an external tool.
Thanks for suggestion, will do it when I'll get some time.

> Maurice did a similar (propose) exporter for FreeCAD,
> https://forum.kicad.info/t/kicad-stepup-new-exporter-for-3d-mcad-feedbacks-are-welcome/1048
> you may have a look on the VRML output it generates to get some ideas, if you want to optimize your (generated VRML file) size.
Well, KiCad's VRML2 parser is so fragile that I did not try to squeeze file sizes.
One of the most obvious optimizations would be to use the %g rather than %.6f floating-point format to get rid of those "0.000000" scattered through the output file.

> "KiCad's rendering of some parts made by me"
> How did you develop that parts on blender? I mean, did you use for kind of (script?) automation or was manual work?
> How does blender fits to create CAD parts? (as blender is not develop for CAD design)
Blender can work with exact coordinates. I just took the vendor PDF file and created a draft given the sizes.
What I like about it is that you can control every vertex of the output.
This helps avoiding generating complex meshes, I don't see much sense in using models like those found on 3dcentral to render the board in KiCad... most of them are overcomplex.

> On the other side, if you find any VRML files that KiCad is not capable of reading,
> you could test my branch: https://code.launchpad.net/~mrluzeiro/kicad/kicad_new3d-viewer
> and see if any broken models are parsed and render correctly on this new 3d plugins / 3d-viewer source code.
Well, it's pretty easy to create such VRML2 files :)
For example, just remove a single comma from the coordIndex[] array, or place all numbers on a single line, or remove commas from "coord Coordinate {" array etc.
This is still valid VRML2 (commas are optional, numbers can be separated by spaces as well), but KiCad won't accept such a file.

--
С уважением,
Андрей