Re: Missing features in GAL

> On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 05:29:06PM +0200, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
>> Now we plan to fill the remaining gaps between the legacy and GAL
>> canvases. I think it is a good opportunity to either improve or remove
>> certain tools, therefore I am asking for your input.
>>
>> What do you think about porting the following features? Do you find them
>> useful, maybe would you change them somehow?
>>
>> - autorouter
>
> I say kill it. The one in pcbnew is utterly useless. I assume we can keep the
> integration with external autorouter?
>
>> - microwave tools
>
> I don't see them being useful in the current implementation and I doubt they
> get any use. I have not once heard anybody talking about using them, only about
> how they wish they could if only they were better... I'd like to see some
> microwave tools in GAL, but I think making a simple port of what we have now
> is a waste of good developer time.

It might indeed be a good choice to skip porting the microwave tools
as is. But I definitely think some better concept for the microwave
tools is needed. Like being able to specify an antenna trace impedance
and just draw it would be nice. Sort of like it is done with the diff
pairs. But getting "proper" microwave tools is not an easy task, I
think.