Re: UI: footprint properties: making ref/val fields editable

On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 09:36:45AM -0400, Chris Pavlina wrote:
> Would anyone be opposed to me making the reference and value fields in
> "footprint properties" directly editable, so you don't have to click Edit and
> call up a second dialog if you don't need to modify font properties? Seems like
> an obvious improvement, but I don't know why they're not editable in the first
> place so I want to make sure there's nothing I'm missing to get in the way.

I sometime wondered about it, too... also the 'read only' fields are
shown as normal fields and it's immediate to think about typing in them!

Most probably they are done in that way because there are other
properties (size, alignment and so on) attached to the text but I don't
think it would be problematic to allow changing the string from there.

Anyway, think about it a second: these texts come from the netlist
(except when editing a module from the library); it's actually a use
case changing the string manually? it will be overwritten next time the
netlist is read!

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
CZ Srl - Parma