Re: KiCad New Main Icon proposal

On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 06:14:26AM -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> That's a fair question that I'm not sure I can answer.  Can we
> reasonably assume that the user expects the default action to be edit as
> opposed to view or any other action?  I just don't know.  I do know that
> icons should be reasonable (which is always subject to interpretation)
> metaphors for the action they represent.  In this case the metaphors are
> edit a symbol library and edit a footprint library.

Disclaimer: I haven't looked through the icons yet. I'm at work doing a bit of
https://xkcd.com/303/ .

But... I'm strongly opposed to having a bunch of 'pencils' and stuff in the
icons. KiCad has a *lot* of icons, and the priorities of the icon designer
should be to make them 1) unique, and 2) quickly distinguishable from each
other. The icon doesn't have to say *everything*, nobody is going to break out
a magnifying lens to look at every little thing in the drawing and figure out
what it does when it's a little picture displaying a centimeter across on their
monitor. Icons are there for after you have a rough idea of what the tool does,
to quickly find a target to click on. Adding features like pencils to icons
increases the similarity of different ones, increasing the amount of time it
takes a user to discern them. It's bad design.