Re: Ideas about improving of the *.kicad_mod filestructure and *.pretty directories

On 8/6/2016 11:03 AM, Thomas Pointhuber wrote:
> Hy,
>
> as Library maintainer I got some insights about the various file formats and as well their current
> limits. Inspired by the current eeschema file format rework I would propose some changes for the
> footprint files as well.
>

> Adding features which are planned for eeschema (or already implemented):
>
>  * bezier function

Could be done.  We have had file and object support for them in Eeschema
since I've been with the project (10yrs) but we still do not have anyway
to edit them in either the schematic or symbol editors yet.  That should
tell you something about any implementation time even if I add support
for them in the file format.

>  * properties

We already support them.  Once again no editing support.

>  * datasheet urls

This would be done using a field just like in Eeschema.

> Other ideas:
>
>  * adding something like a group attribute or allow folders inside *.pretty folders.

I don't think there is anything preventing you from adding sub-folders
inside folders.  You will just have to adjust your fp-lib-table
accordingly.  I'm not thrilled with the idea of automatically parsing
subfolders in the pcb footprint library plugin.  The current parser only
looks for .kicad_mod files in the current folder and will ignore subfolders.

>    Currently our *.pretty folders are getting bigger and bigger and adding an additional level
>    in the tree selector would likely improve UX. (For example we have now a *.pretty folder
>    with >500 footprints of a single manufacturer)

I would break these into subfolders.  It seems to me that this is more
of a library management issue than a file format issue.

>  * From what I learned, *.pretty folders are currently specified to only contain *.kicad_mod files.
>    From a logical view (As well as for maintainability and consistency) we should add the 3d files
>    into those directories as well.

I don't think this is a good idea because you would have same 3D model
in multiple footprint libraries which would make model maintenance a
nightmare.  Once again, there is nothing from preventing you for doing
this now.  AFAIK you can put your 3D models anywhere.  All you have to
do is make sure your 3D model path is correct.  Once again, I see this
is library management issue.

>  * there are cases where footprints need cuttings inside the pcb, which are not round or oval.
>    It's possible to use Edge.Cuts inside the footprint (with external editing) which works, but
>    it would be a good idea to specify this case. (Which would also allow us to display those
>    footprints correctly inside the 3d viewer)

This is also one of those things that is already supported in the file
format but there is no support for in the board or footprint library
editors.