Re: Git transition

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 8/10/2016 5:02 AM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
> > On 08/08/2016 06:09 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> >> The last time I looked, notifications of repo commits still were not
> >> implemented.  This is a show stopper for me.  I don't want to have to
> >> constantly grep the git commit log to see what changed.  If change
> >> notifications are working correctly, then I'm OK with moving forward on
> >> this if you can get the bug fix linking working.  We definitely should
> >> do some testing before we go live with this.
> >
> > I see there is an option to set notifications, in the same way as for
> > the bazaar branches ("Edit your subscriptions" on the right side pane).
> > I could not verify it, as likely I cannot receive notifications for the
> > changes I introduce. Even if it does not work, I can implement it in my
> > webhook.
>
> I spent some time yesterday creating my own git clone of kicad on LP and
> I noticed that the subscriptions that I need appear to be available for
> git repos so we shouldn't need any webhooks in for that unless they do
> not work.
>

> > The webhook has reached beta stage. I have created a dummy project for
> > testing purposes, where you can see a bug report [1] and a commit [2]
> > with message that includes a "fix(es)?[ ]+(lp:|#)?([0-9]+)" regex match.
> > When it is detected, it automatically adds a message, changes the bug
> > status and assignee. One thing that is not possible right now is linking
> > with git branches, as apparently launchpad does not handle this at the
> > moment (or I could not find the right format to specify a branch).
>
> Bug report linking is very important to me since I am responsible for
> the stable branch.  If there is no support for this yet, I'm OK with
> adding the bug report number to the first line of the commit message and
> the URL somewhere in the commit message body.  If I give the OK to use
> git, I will expect all developers that have commit privileges to the
> product repo to follow this without exception.  The commit message for
> bug report fixes must have this format:
>
> Description of bug report fix. (fixes lp:########)
>
> * https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/########
>
> If this is not acceptable, then the git transition will have to wait
> until Canonical gets git bug report linking implemented or Orson beats
> them to it.

Any particular reason for having (fixes lp:########) in the first
line? Typically the first line of the commit message is kept very
short and limited to things one might need when quickly browsing a
log. The usual convention in git is to write something like this at
the bottom of the message:

Fixes: lp:########

It's very easy to search for those if you want, using git log --grep:

git log --grep="^Fixes: lp:12345678"