Re: Git transition

On 08/10/2016 03:34 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> On 8/10/2016 5:02 AM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
>> On 08/08/2016 06:09 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>>> The last time I looked, notifications of repo commits still were not
>>> implemented.  This is a show stopper for me.  I don't want to have to
>>> constantly grep the git commit log to see what changed.  If change
>>> notifications are working correctly, then I'm OK with moving forward on
>>> this if you can get the bug fix linking working.  We definitely should
>>> do some testing before we go live with this.
>>
>> I see there is an option to set notifications, in the same way as for
>> the bazaar branches ("Edit your subscriptions" on the right side pane).
>> I could not verify it, as likely I cannot receive notifications for the
>> changes I introduce. Even if it does not work, I can implement it in my
>> webhook.
>
> I spent some time yesterday creating my own git clone of kicad on LP and
> I noticed that the subscriptions that I need appear to be available for
> git repos so we shouldn't need any webhooks in for that unless they do
> not work.

If they do not work, let me know and I will fix it in the hook.

>> The webhook has reached beta stage. I have created a dummy project for
>> testing purposes, where you can see a bug report [1] and a commit [2]
>> with message that includes a "fix(es)?[ ]+(lp:|#)?([0-9]+)" regex match.
>> When it is detected, it automatically adds a message, changes the bug
>> status and assignee. One thing that is not possible right now is linking
>> with git branches, as apparently launchpad does not handle this at the
>> moment (or I could not find the right format to specify a branch).
>
> Bug report linking is very important to me since I am responsible for
> the stable branch.  If there is no support for this yet, I'm OK with
> adding the bug report number to the first line of the commit message and
> the URL somewhere in the commit message body.  If I give the OK to use
> git, I will expect all developers that have commit privileges to the
> product repo to follow this without exception.  The commit message for
> bug report fixes must have this format:
>
> Description of bug report fix. (fixes lp:########)
>
> * https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/########
>
> If this is not acceptable, then the git transition will have to wait
> until Canonical gets git bug report linking implemented or Orson beats
> them to it.

I spoke with a Launchpad developer and they have it already in their
todo list. There is a plan to migrate Launchpad itself to git, so I
believe they will do it well.

From what I heard, currently it is possible to link git merge requests
to bug reports, so it may temporarily solve the problem.

>> All we need to do is to set a webhook pointing to my script [3]. If it
>> is accepted, then I am going to create a separate lp account for the
>> automated changes.
>>
>> Currently the webhook works on my home server which has a high uptime,
>> but still it is not as reliable as dedicated servers. If there is
>> someone willing to host it on a better machine, I will be pleased to help.
>>
>> If you are curious about the source code, then I can put it in the KiCad
>> github (once I get a repository there) or just post it somewhere.
>
> I can create a repo on github or you can create a repo on launchpad.
> Either way is fine by me.  If you want to use github, let me know what
> name you want for the repo and your github user name and I will set up
> the repo and give you admin rights.

I have just pushed the code to Launchpad [1] and consider it ready to
go. There is also a new account (KiCad Janitor) awaiting approval for
kicad-developers membership, so all the changes will be done using this
dedicated account.

The webhook has been modified to accept a wider set of phrases
indicating a bugfix (now it is (f|F)ix(es|ed|ing)?:? *(lp:|#)?([0-9]+)).

Let me know when the git repository is set up, so I can install the webhook.

Regards,
Orson

1. https://launchpad.net/kicad-git-hook