Re: Integrated Simulator

On 8/12/2016 10:10 AM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
> On 08/11/2016 05:37 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> Congratulations on everyone who made the is happen.  This is a nice
>> feature for KiCad and hopefully users will find it useful.
>>
>> There are a few things will need to addressed that I missed when I
>> initially evaluated the code.
>>
>> Maybe I missed it but I do not see any indication that the ngspice
>> headers and libraries are detected during cmake configuration (see
>> attachment).  This is a major no-no.  All external dependencies must be
>> found during configuration.  As a developer, there are few things that
>> make kick a software package to the curb faster than getting 3/4 of way
>> through a 30+ minute build only have the build fail because there is a
>> missing dependency header or library.  This should fail during
>> configuration to inform the developer that there are missing
>> dependencies.  Please write a FindNgSpice.cmake file.  I know I've said
>> this in the past but I will reiterate it, if you add a new dependency to
>> KiCad you *must* add the configuration code to ensure that all of the
>> required headers and/or libraries can be found before a valid
>> configuration can be completed.
>>
>> Also, please update the Documentation/development/compiling.md file with
>> the added optional ng-spice dependency.  This is the official compiling
>> document that gets pushed to the kicad website so it needs to be kept up
>> to date.
>
> Hi Wayne,
>
> Sure, both issues are fixed in revisions 7025 & 7027. Again, I had a
> chance to test the patches only under Windows and Linux, so their status
> for OS X is currently unknown.
>
> Regards,
> Orson

Hi Orson,

I saw your commit.  Thanks for addressing this issue in a timely mannor.
 I have on minor comment.  FindFoo.cmake files should always have an
option to override the default find location which should take
precedence over the default locations.  Typically this is done with an
environment variable and a definition such as FOO_ROOT.  This allows
developers to use development libraries without having to overwrite
their system default libraries.  I know many of the find modules that
ship with cmake do not do this.  We should not be repeating this bad habit.

Thanks,

Wayne