Re: Git transition

On 8/22/2016 9:53 AM, Clemens Koller wrote:
> Hi, Wayne!
>
> On 2016-08-22 14:09, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> I wasn't planning on migrating the stable 4 branch to git.  I'm hoping
>> there wont be too many more 4 stable releases so I'm not sure it's worth
>> the effort.
>
> Ok, I was wondering...
> I was missing the stable branch, too - as well as all the tags of the old
> releases, etc. I personally don't need them, but it could be useful
> and interesting to get all former references (r6994, rev 6994, 4.0.0-rc...)
> migrated over to the git side once.

My one gripe about git is the commit hash tags.  They really are not
very user friendly.  The tags you mention above are all in 4 stable
branch so if you continue to use bzr for the stable 4 branch, you should
not have any issues.  I will tag future stable versions in git when we
get to that point so you will be able to use git tags in the same
manner.  I'm not sure how maintaining a stable branch in git is going to
work.  I'm guessing that it will be a completely separate repo like we
do with bzr but I'm going to worry about that when the time comes.