Re: KiCad import capabilities - what is plan A?

The "eeschema-plugin" is a very large rework of eeschema which will include
a change in the file format. You can be sure the legacy schematic format
will be supported (via the "plugin") so if you're working on a schematic +
pcb import which has compatible net lists so that you can simply translate
an Eagle project and continue design work then it's OK to use the current
schematic file format; in fact a well-designed translator would make it
trivial to add support for exporting to the newer format when the eeschema
plugin  work is finished. From my point of view such a translator needs to
be a stand-alone application because kicad doesn't currently have a
convenient accessible framework which would allow access to both schematic
and pcb data at the same time.

The launchpad blueprints are largely ignored; anyone can post and people
essentially post wishlist items and run away; the vast majority don't have
any intention of doing any actual work on the code. The blueprint
"export-import-expand-supported-files" is one such wishlist item.

The blueprint "eeschema-plugin" has been planned by Wayne for a long time
and he's currently working on that. For a more sensible list there is a
development roadmap in the Documentation directory of the source:

https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror/blob/master/Documentation/development/road-map.md

There is also another list by the folks at CERN:

http://www.ohwr.org/projects/cern-kicad/wiki/WorkPackages

- Cirilo