Re: libngspice in Homebrew

> Am 02.09.2016 um 15:34 schrieb Simon Wells <swel024@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> Hey johannes,
>
> I am just in the process of brewing libngspice and noticed that flex
> was a requirement? should that not be an option as i don't seem to
> have needed it to build myself?
>
> Simon

Hi Simon,

actually I am not really sure a Homebrewed flex is needed for
successfully building libngspice.  As with bison, flex comes with
OSX, but in an older version.  The OSX version of bison (2.3, I
think) is too old for building ngspice’s HEAD, so I had that in my
formula already.  My thinking went further that if a newer bison
is needed for a HEAD build, perhaps using a newer flex might be good
as well, as the two tools are often used together for lexing and
parsing.  So I included flex as a dependency, too.

I had some discussions with the Homebrew maintainers who did not
want me to add options for --enable-cider and -xspice, but to
hardcode them in.  Their rationale seems to be that options should
only be there, when there are issues for some people.  If you find
an issue with Homebrewed flex, they might let me add and option for
flex.

Best,
Johannes