Re: translation code rework

On 9/7/2016 2:27 PM, Nick Østergaard wrote:
>> As part of the translation code rework that i am working on (and
>> auto-detection) part of it is moving the need for changing anything in
>> code to add a new language. As part of this involves the flags i was
>> wondering whether anyone would be against moving them into the i18n
>> repo (and distributed in the individual language folders, so that if
>> kicad is compiled with having icons enabled in the menu they could
>> still be used but they will be pulled at runtime so no addtional code
>> nor icons required in the kicad tree
>>

> This discussion seem to be related to the other thread:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/kicad-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg17648.html
>
> It does not seem anyone is directly against removing the flags all together.

As I stated in the previous thread I'm OK with removing the flags.  I'm
just concerned about what text we will use in the language menu.
Translated, English, always the current locale, or something else?  I
still haven't seen a good solution to that issue.

> I like the idea of validating the available languages runtime as
> mentioned in the related thread.

Makes sense to me.  I see no reason to add entries in the language menu
for translations that are not available.