Re: Version strings in window titles

Same reason all our other stupid quirks bother me.

KiCad is this: http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyimages/2236.png

We have a million weird little tacked-on additions that all scratch some
individual person's tiny itch because they can't be arsed to pull up the
About box if they want to know which specific version they have
installed. Any time anyone proposes removing one of these bells or
whistles, it gets bikeshedded to death by the sort of people who want
the bikeshed painted orange with glow-in-the-dark green polka dots
because it's easier for them to find the shed that way. It makes our
software look unpolished, unprofessional, and cobbled-together. And
unlike some people, I don't think that's the way open-source software
has to be.

Is it too much to ask that we pay attention to other people who have
solved UI problems before us? Trust me, if there were a good reason to
include version numbers in titles, other applications would do it. At a
quick check through the other software I have on my system, the only
other one that does this is Xilinx ISE. ISE's UI reminds me of KiCad in
other ways, too...