Re: kicad promotion in help menu

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 5:51 PM, jp charras <jp.charras@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le 06/10/2016 à 08:13, Cirilo Bernardo a écrit :
>> Hi folks,
>>
>>  Any comments on this patch I proposed a few weeks ago?
>>
>> https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg26412.html
>>
>> The patch adds a menu item in the main menu Help list to launch the
>> system's default browser and bring up the "Contribute to KiCad" page
>> (http://kicad-pcb.org/contribute/).  The idea is to promote awareness
>> of how users can get involved, whether it's helping with documentation,
>> libraries, etc.  I think we have a great little group at the moment, but
>> more experts helping out or new users learning about the internals of
>> the software is always better. :)
>>

>> - Cirilo
>
> To be honest, if I like the idea, I am not thrilled by this (large?) patch.
> A link in our About Kicad dialog (Information panel) could be better (only 2 lines of code to add).
> On this Information panel (the default panel when opening the dialog) there are already the most
> important links.
>

> --
> Jean-Pierre CHARRAS

I think the main reason the patch is that size is that I had to touch
quite a few files to add the help item to the many different Help menus
(eeschema, schematic symbol editor, footprint editor, pcbnew, etc). I think
the About dialog is so full of information now that people will miss the
link if we put it there.  Adding the actual menu item in each different
Help menu and the wxWidgets code to run the browser are actually
only a very few lines. I suggested adding an item to the About dialog at
one stage but many of our current contributors told me that they thought
it wasn't the best thing to do.

- Cirilo