Re: pcbnew - enable editing of associated net for tracks&vias

On 09/10/16 23:11, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
On 10/8/2016 1:20 PM, Nox wrote:

There is nothing here that has not been discussed before.  The reason
that freely assigning nets to vias has not been implemented is that
every implementation is a compromise.  If we allow random net naming of
vias, all manner of bad things can happen that are completely out of the
control of kicad.  Instead of your wtf moment being some tracks and vias
with no associated net being ripped up when you import a new netlist,
your wtf moment is a stack useless pcbs that you just spend money on.  I
Wayne, respectfully this is where I believe you have missed the point. If a designer assigns a net to a via, then THEY are responsible for the WTF moment. IF Kicad rips up the nets the designer assigned to vias then KICAD is responsible for the WTF moment. In one case the designer screwed up and in the other Kicad screwed the designer over.

Its as simple as that.

My original patch, posted many moons ago, fixed this problem neatly. It did not allow a user to assign arbitrary nets, but if you plonked a via on a GND fill, it had a GND net, and that via would ALWAYS have a GND net until you did something explicitly to change it. What is wrong with that, HOW is that Kicads fault if the user should have plonked it on the VCC plane. Its not. Kicad shouldn't go along behind you ripping up your design for the hell of it. I, in fact, laid boards out, which i believe would be impractical, if not impossible to lay out without this patch, and i have to keep a version of that kicad around simply because kicad isn’t up to the task of following my instructions without later destroying my design intent.

It is not obvious and NOT a DRC violation to have a via go from being assigned to GND and suddenly being assigned to UNASSIGNED. Boards could be made like that without the designer knowing they are being messed with by the DRC pass. Now the result is the plane it was supposed to stich is no longer stitched, AND the design intent has been destroyed by Kicad.

MY opinion, and I know it doesnt count for much, is DRC should NEVER reassign an net unless it can UNAMBIGUOUSLY PROVE the nets connectivity. IF it cant prove the nets connectivity it should leave the damn net assignment alone. Throw a DRC Error FINE, but dont change my design. And it should NOT ASSUME IT KNOWS BETTER THAN THE PERSON WHO LAID IT. To be completely fair, the whole "Reassign the nets pass" of Kicad should be able to be disabled, it should generate DRC violations for net conflicts, but a designer should be able to tell Kicad, HEY DONT CHANGE MY DESIGN JUST DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD.

If a user wants to manually assign a net, problem belong them, but i think its worse for Kicad to insist it knows better than the designer and that is precisely the situation we have now.

Show a case where leaving the via on the net the user assigned when it was placed causes a design fault VS reassigning to UNASSIGNED (and that fault is kicads and not the stupidity of the designer) and i will change my position, but no one has ever been able to show that except for "Beware monsters" type replies.

AND if one wanted to proceed "Cautiously" just have a global option "Preserve nets on DRC" which selectively enables my proposed patch, then users who dont use via stitching can "proceed cautiously" and other who actually want to get a design out the door can do some work, and not have to lay tons of superfluous, difficult to manage, and easily screwed up stitching tracks.

Stront