Re: Via Stitching

Hi Heikki,

Sorry for top-posting (answering from a webmail).

We are very happy that you are working on the via stitching tool, but let's stick to the roadmap that Wayne proposed (see https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror/blob/master/Documentation/development/road-map-r5.md). If you look at the via stitching paragraph, there are 5 points:

- Connection propagation fix for the current issue of vias that are not connected to tracks being tagged as unassigned and removed.
- Develop more robust connectivity checking algorithm.
- Improve the DRC to handle cases of orphaned vias.
- Create a UI element to allow the user to select a net from the list of valid nets.
- Manual via placement tool.

Concerning point 1), we can take Steven's patch to make Kicad retain the net codes of loose vias, also assuming that vias/track never get their net codes propagated from zones.
Points 2) and 3) are taken care of by the new connectivity check algorithm that I'm working on. It handles all cases of zones connected with vias (including multiple overlapping zones).

The last two points could be yours. We need to extend the properties dialog for tracks/vias with a combobox that lets the user pick the net from the list of valid nets in the design. Then, we need a manual via placement tool, but *for the GAL canvas*, both in pcbnew and the footprint editor. We should not add any new features to the legacy one, as this slows down our migration to GAL. I agree that the newly placed vias should take their nets from already existing items (that is zones, pads, tracks and other vias), but only during placement. The priority IMHO should be currently selected layer, followed by other visible copper layers according to the rendering order. Furthermore, the via placement tool should provide a hotkey and an R-Click menu access to the properties dialog, so that the user can set the via dimensions and net while in placement mode.

Let us know if you're interested in developing these features. We're having a Kicad hackathon right now, so feel free to join us on the IRC (we're here until Monday evening, all time on Kicad). We can also help you with the  GAL stuff. The PlacePad() tool in the footprint editor is IMHO a good starting point.

Cheers,
Tom